Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang believes he has paid the price for last season s exertions, but the Arsenal skipper is confident he can turn his campaign around.
Aubameyang inspired the Gunners to FA Cup glory in 2020, scoring twice in each of the semi-final and final wins over Manchester City and Chelsea.
The Gabon international s decision to sign a new three-year contract at Emirates Stadium last September was a cause for celebration, yet he has struggled since.
An extra-time strike to clinch a 2-0 win over Newcastle United at the start of Arsenal s FA Cup defence last weekend was Aubameyang s sixth of the season in all competitions.
Speaking to Sky Sports ahead of Thursday s Premier League match against Crystal Palace, the 31-year-old sta…
AC Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi has confirmed that he is ready to sign a contract extension with the club.
The 35-year-old joined the Rossoneri from Juventus in 2001.
I have no intention to quit, I feel fine and I am always scoring and I still have the will to train hard, Inzaghi told Il Corriere Dello Sport.
I will renew my deal for another year in June. I want to win the Uefa Cup too as this is the only trophy missing from our cabinet.
My deal expires in June but [Adriano] Galliani told me that I am like [Paolo] Maldini and that I can renew whenever I want for another year.
Inzaghi’s current contract expires in June 2009.
[Source: Il Corriere Dello Sport]
…
No sooner had the draw for the 2009 African Champions League qualifying rounds been made Thursday than Egyptian giants Al-Ahly assumed their traditional role as title favourites.
There are eight other former champions in the field, but none appears an overwhelming threat to the Cairo Red Devils pursuit of a record seventh success in the premier African Football Confederation club competition.
Ahly moved ahead of bitter domestic rivals Zamalek last month by being crowned champions a sixth time with a 4-2 aggregate triumph over surprise finalists Cotonsport Garoua of Cameroon.
Never one to sit on his laurels, Ahly coach Manuel Jose has been linked by the Egyptian media with Niger-born Cotonsport striker Daouda Kamilou, second highest scorer in the Champions Lea…
Everton have signed Ecuador striker Enner Valencia on a season-long loan from Premier League rivals West Ham with an option to make the move permanent.
Valencia joined West Ham in July 2014 after a World Cup in which he scored twice for Ecuador.
But he has failed to make the desired impact at West Ham, scoring just 10 goals in 72 appearances in all competitions.
He will hope for better fortunes at Everton, who have missed out on Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko, the France international set to join Tottenham.
Everton have been busy in the transfer window, Ronald Koeman adding to his squad with the captures of Yannick Bolasie, Ashley Williams, Idrissa Gueye, Maarten Stekelenburg and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
…
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has denied reports linking forward Neymar with a move to Manchester United and revealed that they are poised for talks over a contract extension with the Brazil international.
The Premier League club are rumoured to be lining up an audacious bid for the 23-year-old, who joined Barca from Santos in June 2013 and scored 39 goals in all competitions last season as Luis Enrique s men completed a treble by winning La Liga, the Copa del Rey and the UEFA Champions League.
Speculation in England has suggested Neymar would be open to a move to Old Trafford. However, Bartomeu has been quick to pour cold water on such talk.
Those are just rumours and what people write but there is nothing to it, Bartomeu told Catalunya Radio.
<…
Derby County are confident of completing a deal to sign ex-England captain Wayne Rooney on Tuesday, according to club owner Mel Morris.
Rooney, 33, is set to make a surprise return to English football in what is expected to be a player-coach role in support of Rams boss Phillip Cocu.
According to reports, the former Everton and Manchester United forward could see out the MLS season at DC United before moving to Pride Park in January.
Talks looks set to continue moving quickly after Rooney flew into London s Heathrow Airport on Tuesday.
It s only literally been a couple of days. I suppose the starting point was we understood Wayne was keen to return to the UK and of course we had a look at the situation and decided to see if we could actually do something…
Zinedine Zidane believes he is a better coach now than he was when he led Real Madrid to three Champions League successes.
Zidane returned for a second spell in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu in March 2019, 10 months after departing the club in the aftermath of guiding them to a third successive continental crown.
His return has not always been plain sailing with Madrid ending last season third in LaLiga, 19 points adrift of arch-rivals Barcelona while both Spanish giants who are tied atop the table have been largely underwhelming this term.
He has found some joy in the Supercopa de Espana, however, with his team through to Sunday s final against Atletico Madrid following Wednesday s 3-1 defeat of Valencia.
And Zidane suggested he has learned from both …
Bournemouth manager Andoni Iraola admitted man-of-the-match David Brooks came up with the perfect answer to being left out of his team during the 5-0 FA Cup thrashing of Swansea.
Wales international Brooks made the most of a rare start this season by scoring one goal and making two more as the Cherries cruised into round five on Thursday night.
Iraola said: “The wing position is where we have more options and they are all playing really well.
How good was Brooksy today?
— AFC Bournemouth (@afcbournemouth)
“Sometimes it is difficult to leave players out. David played really well tonight.
“We were really clinical and started very strongly. It was strange to score five goals in the first half.
“We did not want to start slo…
Simone Inzaghi expressed his gratitude for the backing he has been given in the transfer market after Joaquin Correa scored a decisive debut double in Inter s 3-1 win at Hellas Verona.
Correa made a dream start to his Inter career a day after completing his move from Lazio, coming off the bench to make a match-winning contribution.
The Argentina forward replaced Lautaro Martinez after 74 minutes with the two sides locked at 1-1 and headed his new club in front with seven minutes to go, before sealing all three points with a clinical left-foot finish in stoppage time.
Martinez had earlier cancelled out Ivan Ilic s opener, which came after a poor kick from Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic.
Nerazzurri boss Inzaghi said it was crucial for Inter to rein…
Real Madrid defender Ricardo Carvalho seems to be edging closer to Monaco switch, .
The Principality club have already captured the likes of Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez, while Radamel Falcao is also set to join.
Monaco officials plan to continue summer recruitment, with Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho next on agenda.
According to L Equipe, the Real Madrid stopper was in Monaco on Monday night to negotiate a Bosman deal with the newly promoted side.
Carvalho s contract at Santiago Bernabeu is set to expire in June and it is no secret he won t be offered a new deal.
The veteran defender is 35 at the moment, but he does appear to have a couple of good years ahead of him.
Carvalho, who joined Real Madrid from Chelsea in the summer …